Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scarification

+9
alexandra.
T-diddy
lalalie
wombieheartanimal
Klerr!
morg
Annalise
admin
Subie
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Scarification Empty Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 am

Subie

Subie
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

No more complaints! Hoorah!

2Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 am

admin

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Thumbs up top effort subes.

3Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:55 am

Mad

Okay. Scarification. Let's talk about it.

Scarification, branding or whatever you want to call is a permanent body modification and is basically "pretty scars." There are different methods to the madness:

Branding - Think cows. Put a poker with your farm name cut out in some coals, stick it on its rump. It scars and everyone knows it's yours.

Okay, it's nothing like that. It's much more safe.

To get scarification this way, you do it through heat and burns or from lasers or other high tech fancy things. The heat burns through your tissue and when it heals, it leaves a scar.

The most popular method is called Strike Branding and is very similar in the farm branding, in that they heat up a piece of metal and stick it on your skin. This is usually done in bits, to use an example from wikipedia because I don't know how else to explain it:

"For example, to get a V-shaped brand, two lines would be burned
separately by a straight piece of metal, rather than by a V-shaped
piece of metal.
"

These can overlap and with bigger designs the brander may go back and re-brand an area.

Another method is the Cautery Brand. To achieve scarification this way is using modern tools, such as a soldering iron to produce a burn. This is not as common, though I don't know why.

Another one is called "Laser" Branding. It actually has nothing to do with lasers. Again, because I suck at explaining, from Wikipedia:

Electrocauterization (also called electric surgery or electrosurgery)
is the process of destroying tissue with electricity and is widely used
in modern surgery. The procedure is frequently used to stop bleeding of
small vessels (larger vessels being ligated) or for cutting through soft tissue i.e. abdominal fat in a laparotomy or breast tissue in a mastectomy.
...The Electrosurgical generator (ESG), more commonly referred to as an
electrosurgical unit (ESU) or simply as a generator, powers an
electrosurgical system with electricity at an appropriate voltage, frequency and waveform for cutting or for coagulation, as required.

Ignore the links in that, I'm too lazy to take them out.

There are other methods of branding, but I can't think of them right now.

This is the method I plan to use, in particular strike branding because it most often ends in keloids.

I'll talk about the pain and the effects and after care blah blah blah later.

Cutting - I can already hear peoples morals being raised. Lower them friends. It's not what you think it is.

Juuuuust kidding. This is the act of scarification where a design is cut into the skin using surgical or sharp blade, leaving a raised scar.

Now before the b'aaaawing starts and everyone freaks out (or maybe no one will freak out, but just so we are clear), let me quote the BME FAQ on this:

How is this different from cutting in the clinical sense?

Cutting (as in self-cutting) is a symptom of a
larger psychological problem. It is generally marked by slashes on the
arms and chest, rather than primarily aesthetic cuts. In no way (other
than they're both cuts) are these activities related, and if an artist
feels your motivations behind seeking scarification are suspect they
will not work on you. An online search for "self-injury" will return
many helpful resources for those who suffer from this illness.

Okay? Sweet.

So. The first method is through the obvious, cutting a design into the skin. This is apparently no more painful than getting a tatoo (for some, it is actually less painful) buuuuuut according to my sources it would be like getting paper cuts over and over and over. And that would suck. Depending on the effect you are looking for, cuts are no deeper than a tattoo.

The second method is through ink rubbing. Popularized by lesbians in the S&M community, is the method of cutting the skin and then rubbing tattoo ink into the cuts. While most of the ink falls out with scabs, some of it stays and it may be associated with a bad tattoo as opposed to an ink rubbing.

Another method is skin removal or skinning. This method genuinely squicks me. To get a thicker cut (though don't quote me on that) some artists will cut a shape and then cut the skin off. It can heal successfully, but with everything there are risk. Probably more risks with this method though. I don't like this method so that's all I'll say, but look it up if you need more information.

Another method is packing. This is mostly used in places like Africa where scarification is a rite of passage and is achieved (in those places at least) by making a cut and putting clay or such a substance under the skin. As the cuts heal, it either forces the clay out or keloids grow over them. While this is the best method to get massive keloids, no reasonable practioner will offer it. If they do? RUN AWAY.

Now, before anyone makes the obvious joke/suggestion of "Why don't you do it yourself?" or "I'll do it for you!" (like my mother the two times I've brought this up) the short answer is No.

The long answer is No, are you incredibly stupid? It is one of my massive pet peeves when people do body modification themselves, whether they be tattoos or piercings or whatever. You are seriously invoking Darwins Law. Not only can things go wrong, hobby blades and knives are less sharp than a surgical blade and my opinion is if you are going to do it, do it properly, goddamn.

There are other forms but dudes it's three am and I only just woke up and I also have a massive headache and there are bugs at my window and creepy noises and I just don't want to write about it anymore.

HERE are my sources and things I was copying off of because I couldn't remember it all on my own:

http://www.bmezine.com/scar/scar-faq.html#S1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification#Branding

There was more but I closed them and I can't be bother re-finding them. Just google it.

Anyway. Onto the "ZOMG THAT MUST HURT" factor and "Isn't it dangerous!?!1"

I don't understand why everyone gets all antsy about scarification? It's extreme sure. People have nearly died from piercing. People have gotten Hep B or C from tattooing or piercing. Piercing and tattooing are just as dangerous. The human body wasn't really designed with these in mind. With piercing, you are poking a hole through your skin and opening yourself up to heaps of problems. A tattoo cuts down to where your permant skin is. I mean, scarification is scary and whatever but it's not that much worse than any other body modification.

Okay, well. When doctors were burning gential warts off of patients, the doctors were getting gential warts inside their noses. Can you guess how this is relevant?

Though the heat will kill most bacteria and viruses some won't and so this will be an issue (I'm talking about branding, by the way). Masks are a minimum requirement and always ask what they have to prevent this (a vaccuum pulling fumes away etc).

All scarifications will take a long time to heal and there are stages to the healing.

There are two options when it comes to healing (with branding in particular) is to not touch it or pick at it and let it heal naturally. The other is to irritate it (by rubbing at it with a toothbrush or something. The first time I did my research I read somewhere to put toothpaste on it, but goodness, I wouldn't do that). While this will increase scaring, it will probably make them inconsistant where bits will be raised more than others.

The biggest risk with scarification is that it fucks up massive and looks like shit. There are so many variables in this situation. It's not a precise art and because there isn't much call for it, the people who do it aren't as experienced as they could be.

With all body art, including piercing, there is the risk of infection. This can be minimalized by proper aftercare and someone who knows what they are doing.

As I said, there are a billion variables in this situation. The artist has little control over the way the scars form, it all comes down to the way your body heals. And if I go in and get a strike branding done and it heals well and looks good, there is no guarentee it will look good on you.

Also, scarification looks best on people with darker skin.

If your scarification doesn't heal to you're liking? Well, you can go back and get rebranded.

Always ask for qualifications, to see their portfolio and they're experience with scarification, what saftey methods they use blah blah blah. If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.

4Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:53 am

Annalise

Annalise
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

"The biggest risk with scarification is that it fucks up massive and looks like shit."

I loved this bit Bekki! hahaha

Other than the lols, that was very informative. The process of branding really freaks me out, but then burns are pretty much the worst pain i've ever experienced apart from some dental procedures.

I probably wont get it done, not probably 98% sure I wont get scarification done, pretty much the same as a tattoo. MOSTLY because I'm too indecisive to choose something that I want marked on me forever. but if I did it'd be by the first method. I dunno if it'd feel like paper cuts though, the instruments they use are thicker than that...
Maybe I just hope they don't feel like papercuts

PAPERCUTS ON YOUR EYE BALLS!!! (let that mental image get ya? Ashley screams whenever I say it)

Basically yeah, it can look so sososososooo shit, i've only seen a few that I actually like. Much different to tattoos.
But I don't see it as any worse than tattoos and peircings, infact since I have a general aversion to needles it really seems a fuck load better.
end

5Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:04 am

Thank you. Also GAAAAAAAH papercuts on my eyeballs!! D: D:

I think that strike branding would be the best because it would only hurt for a second until the nerves got burnt away. However the aftercare would be a bitch.

When I burnt my stomach, that was the worst bit. Bending down and a massive bubble of pus would pop and go all down my leg. Not. Fun.

I really, really want this:

Scarification Ashtie1

And I'd like an ankh on my thumb, but I don't know if that's possible?

6Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:54 am

morg

morg
n00blette
n00blette

Scarification? More like owification. As in, ow, that hurts like a bitch. Major props to you for doing it (if you did). I would never get a tattoo or anything, way too permanent, unless someone I really loved died, like a relative, then maybe I would get their name in miniscule writing somewhere.
But I would never scar myself on purpose. I will save that for when I fall into a gutter on some big ass piece of broken glass.

7Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:19 am

Klerr!

Klerr!
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

morg wrote:Scarification? More like owification.

bahahahaha.

http://www.sailor-klerr.blogspot.com

8Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am

admin

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Woah Bekki, that's a long one!
But I did read it, and i'm still not keen on the idea personally, but you know i'm always in support of stuff you want to do, and if that's what you want then that's what you want.
I'd say just be careful, but by the sounds of things your very clued up and that's reassuring.
I don't think i'd ever consider it for myself. I'm scared enough of tattoos and I have seen Geoff get one done and I was the one who looked after it (ie: creams, changing dressings etc).

9Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:52 pm

Subie

Subie
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

That was really interesting. Thanks Bekki. I think most people think they are "worse" than tattoos or piercings because they look more fierce. I like them, if done well of course, but I don't think I'd get one simply because I don't think they'd suit me.

10Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:53 pm

wombieheartanimal

wombieheartanimal
Admirals
Admirals

nerves getting burnt away? That is all Sian needs to read about this I think.

Clover " LET'S CALL THE NEW SITE THE H.M.S INDEPENDENT!" Spaghetti, who sits on the fence in the country looking at the cows as it rains, holding a big sign that says "I started the whole damn sea analogy, I came up with the name for this vessel, It's my goddamn party and I'll cry if I want to!"

11Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:05 pm

lalalie

lalalie
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

I'd never do it, but I really liked the idea you had about getting your mum's hand print.

12Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:07 pm

because it kind of looks like branding

13Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm

T-diddy

T-diddy
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

The_Rogue_Doll wrote:
Now, before anyone makes the obvious joke/suggestion of "Why don't you do it yourself?" or "I'll do it for you!" (like my mother the two times I've brought this up) the short answer is No.

The long answer is No, are you incredibly stupid? It is one of my massive pet peeves when people do body modification themselves, whether they be tattoos or piercings or whatever. You are seriously invoking Darwins Law. Not only can things go wrong, hobby blades and knives are less sharp than a surgical blade and my opinion is if you are going to do it, do it properly, goddamn.

That is what i think stood out in particular. You wrote that bekki? (HA i origiannly just wrote kibbei WTF.)
Things can go wrong though when you get it done "Properly". Im pretty sure its not a very accepted practise yet, tattoos have evolved from hitting your skin with a sharp peice of wood and some ink into a very darn hygenic way.Same with piercings, but with these you arent cutting your skin and making it heal gross on purpose.
A surgical blade can do much worse too especially when in the wrong hands. How do these people get qualified? Its a bit scarier leting some tattooed up guy near you with a blade and a lopsided grin telling you to lie down honey because its all going to be ok, until you start dying from ensepticema\ (hahah i have no idea but i thikn thats what i mean) because he cut a heart into you.

ps. The ink rubbing one reminds me of jail tats. I laugh at those, its like common place in good old blacktown. Mounty county. ect.

http://www.myspace.com/rocksteady7

14Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm

antagonisticsarah wrote:because it kind of looks like branding

...what? T-that's what it is?

T-diddy wrote:
The_Rogue_Doll wrote:

That is what i think stood out in particular. You wrote that bekki? (HA i origiannly just wrote kibbei WTF.)
Things can go wrong though when you get it done "Properly". Im pretty sure its not a very accepted practise yet, tattoos have evolved from hitting your skin with a sharp peice of wood and some ink into a very darn hygenic way.Same with piercings, but with these you arent cutting your skin and making it heal gross on purpose.
A surgical blade can do much worse too especially when in the wrong hands. How do these people get qualified? Its a bit scarier leting some tattooed up guy near you with a blade and a lopsided grin telling you to lie down honey because its all going to be ok, until you start dying from ensepticema\ (hahah i have no idea but i thikn thats what i mean) because he cut a heart into you.

ps. The ink rubbing one reminds me of jail tats. I laugh at those, its like common place in good old blacktown. Mounty county. ect.

Yes, I did write that. I wrote all of that, except for where I quoted things. I never said that it would be safer if done by professionals but you are so much more likely to get hurt when you do it yourself. You are cutting or burning your major organ that prevents infection and injury, so of course it's dangerous.

People started by self teaching, but it has evolved from then. You can go to schools (there's a link to one in the BME link I gave earlier), you can do apprenticeships blah blah blah. It's one of the reasons I said this and why other people say this:

The_Rogue_Doll wrote:Always ask for qualifications, to see their portfolio and they're experience with scarification, what saftey methods they use blah blah blah. If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.

What is really annoying me is this constant repetition about how scarification is cutting into your skin and OH NO THAT'S DANGEROUS. Let me quote wikipedia:

The most common method of tattooing in modern times is the electric tattoo machine, which inserts ink into the skin via a group of needles that are soldered onto a bar, which is attached to an oscillating unit. The unit rapidly and repeatedly drives the needles in and out of the skin, usually 80 to 150 times a second. This modern procedure is ordinarily sanitary. The needles are single-use needles that come packaged individually. The tattoo artist must wash not only his or her hands, but they must also wash the area that will be tattooed

Quote from the BME FAQ on tattoos

The tip of the tube is dipped into the ink, which draws a little into the tube. As the needle withdraws into the tube, it gets coated with ink. When it comes forward, it pierces your skin and deposits the ink. You then bleed a
little through the needle hole. This happens several hundred times a second.

There is a case of a 22 year old woman getting a brain infection from a tongue piercing. (source: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Brain_Infection)

It's not like a tattoo or a piercing, no. You can't just walk in to a place without thinking about and get it done (though you should definitely not do that with tattoos or piercings either)

Before I get mine, I'm going to research the place, ask the proper questions, wait till I'm in good health.

You have can't slack on the after care like I do with my piercings, but look after it properly and there shouldn't be a problem. I've had first degree and thrid degree burns and never had an issue before, and I (stupidly in retrospect) never got it treated by a doctor. (LOL)

Look, I'm definitely not an expert. I know what I know through research for personal reasons (I've been looking into this for over a year now). Maybe I'm hideously wrong, but it's something I am really interested in. I know the risks but I think I'd like to get it done.

15Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:22 pm

alexandra.

alexandra.
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

Well I have a story about scars.
I have a scar on my arm, it's only in a line but damnit it's a pretty line.
It used to be about 5cm longer than it is, but now it's shorter because it shrank, but I doubt it will ever go away.
I scratched it when it was new, and I think that helped in stopping it from going away.
It is a sex scar from sex and it is really, I don't know. It's really nice to look at, makes me feel attractive and loved and stuff.
It really is beautiful.

http://www.myspace.com/xalex_raymondx

16Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:24 pm

i love you Thumbs up

That is how most of my scars feel to me. It's really nice and awesome Very Happy

17Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Jen

Jen
Admiral
Admiral

Are you guys being serious?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653215984&ref=name

18Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:29 pm

About what? The scars making me feel beautiful? To that, yes.

19Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:08 pm

yeah I like my scars, not the ones I did out of mental pain, they are stupid but the ones that I got from living have the best stories to go along with them

20Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm

admin

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

My scares always dissapear, but what evs. I don't really want them but they always have interesting stories to go with them.
I have sorta scares, stretch marks... but heaps bad?
I can put my finger tip in them.
Sorry tmi.
Anyway does that count? No not really I guess.
*hangs head and leaves thread*

21Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 pm

kaihlajade.

kaihlajade.
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

I have a scar on my left hand right in the bottom right corner of my palm and it's shaped kind of like a star. It's from this time Luke was piggy backing me and I fell on the road.

http://www.myspace.com/kaihla_jade

22Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Jen

Jen
Admiral
Admiral

Scars are more prone to skin cancer.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653215984&ref=name

23Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Klerr!

Klerr!
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

If you get a tattoo it covers skin cancers...

24Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:41 pm

wednesday

wednesday
Admiral
Admiral

So, sorry if this was in the post but I didn't see it, can you get this proffessionaly done, or is it strictly DIY? Or... strictly non DIY?
I kinda like it, but I kinda don't... I guess it's the same way I feel about tattoos kind of...

25Scarification Empty Re: Scarification Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Klerr!

Klerr!
Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch

Strictly non DIY!!

It's just like piercings. You CAN do it yourself but there is a huuuuuge chance of it fucking up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum